Education Unit

Essential Question: What are the true goals of education? To what extent do our schools serve these goals?

Memoir: Tuesdays with Morrie; Mitch Albom website; Questions for Discussion

Bill Cosby’s Pound Cake Speech; Discussion Questions for BC speech; CBN News Pound Cake Speech Today

Declining by Degrees– PBS documentary

Changing Paradigms– Robinson speech and animation

I Know Why the Caged Bird Cannot Read– Prose

The Joy of Reading and Writing: Superman and Me – Alexie

Best in Class –  The New Yorker

Most Likely to Succeed– Gladwell

From 50 Essays:

Learning to Read – Malcolm X

Learning to Read and Write – Douglass

I Just Wanna Be Average – Rose

Video Essay Assignment

37 thoughts on “Education Unit

1. “No Child Left Behind Act,” The New York Times 6 July. 2012. Web 8 Jan. 2013.

The “No Child Left Behind Act,” article begins with a brief description of what No Child left Behind is; it then discusses how the program has failed in recent years; and it ends with proposals from President Obama and the Senate on how to fix the program.

This is an interesting article. For those that do not know what the No Child Left Behind Act does, it explains that in the beginning half of the article. The other half of the article however explains what President Obama and the Senate wants to do about the act. I don’t really feel like what Obama wants to do is a smart move. He feels that the best way to address the schools that are failing the requirements of no child left behind by letting schools set their own goals for the school year. I feel that what Representative John Kline said was very true. He said, “This sets a dangerous precedent, make no mistake — this is a political move that could have a damaging impact on Congressional efforts to enact lasting reforms to current elementary and secondary education law.” I feel that if schools have the ability to set their own goals, the Government will not be able to reverse what they have already done in the long run. So, either the Act needs to be left alone or repealed; it should not get to where the schools can choose their own goals.

• This is to Jordan’s article. I agree with what you said about the issue of schools setting their own goals and how this will leave the government helpless to step in later. I believe this to be true. Failing schools are obviously already doing something wrong so who’s to say that their supposed “goals” will be legitimate and effective? By this time I believe it is too late for the government to make any changes if these “goals” flounder. Then the failing schools will simply keep failing. End of story. As we can see here, not much has been fixed. The act must be repealed.

2. Rich, Motoko. “N.R.A. Call to Guard Schools Is Criticized as Too Simplistic.” The New York Times 22 Dec. 2012: Web. 9 Jan. 2013.

Motoko Rich’s article begins with an explanation of the differing opinions that have resulted due to the National Rifle Association’s call to place armed guards in schools nation-wide; it then discusses the cons to this idea, such as the high cost and the lack of trained people to do the job; and it ends with several quotes suggesting that armed guards are not the solution to the issue of school safety.

This article discusses a topic that has been on everyone’s mind since the dreadful shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary: school safety. It’s upsetting to me that it took something so horrible to happen to little children for this issue to be taken more seriously. I can see the reasoning behind wanting to place armed guards in every school nationwide, but I do not think it is the proper solution to the problem. Armed guards did not prevent the Columbine shooting, nor could they stop people with high-capacity rifles. Automatic guns were not made for sport. They are not used to hunt. They were made with one sole purpose: to kill. In my opinion, the only realistic way to increase school safety is to stop these guns from being available in the first place.

• In the days after the shooting at the Elementary School in Sandy Hook, I was just as shocked as the rest of the nation seemed to be. I agree wholeheartedly that our nation has come to a place in its history where something dreadful like this had to happen for us to realize our faults. As the saying goes, we didn’t know what we had until it was gone. However, I am still unsure about how we should prevent this from happening again. While the idea sounds wonderful on paper, placing armed guards at every school in the nation is simply not possible, but I also feel that stopping the availability of these high-capacity rifles is an equally drastic measure to take.

3. Palmer, Lisa. “Climate Education Graduates to the Next Level.” Scientific American. 21 May 2012. Print.

The article begins with talking about how evolution and climate change face similar challenges for universal acceptance in the education system; it then discusses why climate change as a topic in academics is hard to teach; and it ends with projected benefits if more high school students were subject to the issue before college.

This article talks about how climate change is going through the same setbacks as evolution in the world of education. It is a hard topic to teach without hindrance and has “two” sides. Evolution in schooling has escaped most problems in politics because of separation of church and state. Climate change does not have this safety net. Teachers have to appease both the “man-made” theory and then the “it just happens cyclically” idea. The article also says that this topic must reach more students. I agree and I think climate change is important to know because it is part of our world. I think it is silly how teachers are having to worry how the teach the curriculum. Scientific evidence points directly to one theory whilst the other was created by an addled society. Sometimes I think politics needs to stay hands off when it comes to education, especially science. Nothing will get done and the system will raise a very confused future generation.

• While I agree with idea that this current education standard is only causing confusion in students, I tend to disagree on the climate issue. I personally don’t believe in the idea of “global warming” in the sense that human error is causing the world to completely change climate. I don’t think we can possibly have such a huge impact. However, I do agree that it is possible for the world to cyclically change average temperature. This is a natural process, and there is evidence pointing toward this climate change in the past. Even though I do not agree entirely on the issue of climate change, I agree that students will only become confused about this issue if we continue to allow it to be taught this way. I would suggest that both sides of the argument be taught. This would allow the students to learn not only how to see a different perspective on the issue, but it would also allow them the opportunity to form their own opinions without the influence of the education system.

4. Franzen, Carl. “Apple ipad Mini May Cause Problems for Education.” TMP Idea Lab 25 Oct. 2012. Web. 7 Jan. 2013.

The article “Apple ipad Mini May Cause Problems for Education” begins with an explanation of the developments implemented into the ipad mini and how the world of education has quickly adopted new technology in the past; it then discusses how this new devise is not simply a smaller version of the original ipad which had such success in the education realm; and it ends by explaining the issues that have already been seen with the introduction of the new apple product.

Before reading this article, I already had my own mostly negative opinions on the ipad mini. I find it hard to understand why any one would rather have a smaller screen, smaller buttons, and smaller storage space when he could have so much more for only a minor increase in price. Reading this article only reinforced my opinions. Although I love apple products, I agree that the ipad mini is not the best fit for a classroom setting simply because of the size. What I found most intriguing however was that McGraw Hill Education, the supplier of a large portion of textbooks used in schools across the nation, supported the introduction of their virtual textbook technology with the ipad mini. Arguments over cost, size, and even software on this new technology outweigh the few benefits that may result from its introduction into the educational system.

5. I am replying to Faith’s article. I totally agree that the ipad mini is not the ideal learning tool. Compared to the normal ipad, it is a joke. Who wants smaller memory space and less capabilities? I know I don’t. People should take a little more care in getting the best technology for schools. The ipad mini places several restrictions on teachers and students concerning what they can achieve. The ipad is the ultimate learning tool whereas the ipad mini is simply a “watered down” version. McGraw Hill is only supporting the ipad mini because of the money but like I said before- we should only provide the best when it comes to education.

6. Reddy, Frank. “Live long and learn: Teachers use Star Trek theme to reach students.” Gwinnett Daily Post. 11 January 2013. Print.

This article begins with a witty account of how a typical school day goes on for the children at Dacula Middle School where the curriculum is integrated with the galactic blockbuster; it then discusses the reasoning for this unusual teaching method; and it ends with opinions from the teachers (or Commanders) themselves.

Basically at this local school, the teachers are all dressed up like characters from the film every day. They treat students as if they were “pilot cadets” and they even go as far as making their test questions related to vulcans, starships and galaxies galore. The school is aiming to make learning fun for the kids. My thing is this- aren’t they a little old for such childish methods? These kids are anywhere from 10 to 13 years old. All of their subjects are focused around Star Trek. I think this is unhealthy for the teachers to carry on in this manner. I believe this might be acceptable for elementary schoolers but certainly not for kids about to enter high school. I believe it is important for them to learn in a “real world” environment so this way high school isn’t a major shock because teachers aren’t acting as if they are off in space somewhere! Educators need to make learning fun for what it is. They should not create fantasies in school. Kids are here to learn and teachers are here to teach- they are NOT here to goof off!!

• While I think the idea of an “intergalactic school” or really a themed school in general is extremely inventive, I have to agree that it probably does not provide the best learning environment for children of this age group. In the past decade, education has taken a turn in trying to provide students with a better way to learn. Thankfully, they are realizing that not every student can be forced to squeeze through the mold we have created today. From uniforms to standardized testing, everything in the education system is regulated and shaped to fit one very specific personality. For this reason, I commend the creators of this school for their inventive thinking and realization of specific learning needs. However, for many logistical reasons, I think this particular school has taken the idea a little overboard, even to the point where it will not benefit the students.

7. Levin, Dan. “A Chinese Education, for a Price.” The New York Times 21 Nov. 2012. Web. 23 Jan. 2013.

In the article “A Chinese Education, for a Price,” Dan Levin begins by recognizing the importance of education in today’s competitive world; he then explains how the education system in China has become drastically skewed toward the wealthy; and he ends with a brief account of how some parents are avoiding this challenge.

When I first read this article, I was amazed and almost speechless at the idea that families are able to buy their children good educational positions. What really surprised me even more was the fact that many families cannot afford to send their children to such great schools, so they are simply left with very minimum or no education at all. While I know this happens in other areas around the world, I was oblivious to the fact that this could go on in such a quickly developing country such as China. However, I also realized that this very fact is the main reason there is even an education problem to begin with. Education makes all the difference in the business world, and because this is the kind of nation China is becoming, worried parents cannot assure their child’s success with out this expensive schooling. This high motivation has led the education system down a path of destruction, and if it does not change soon, it will be left in ruins.

• Things like this in China are truly disturbing. In America, children get the education they earn. Basically, their classes are based on personal academic ability. This is how it should be. Sadly in China, it all depends on the families economic status. Buying education is not smart for China. This will hinder the country’s growth and could destroy their future as a world power. Because poverty is an issue in China, how many families can honestly afford good education? I’m sure it can’t be a large percentage of the population. This is the major problem for China. Not educating this generation will only stab them in the back later when they need people to be smart in order to compete on the global scale.

• In response to Megan’s response to Faith’s article. I see your point about it could possibly stab them in the back in the long run, but I think this is an issue that will not have much effect. I say this because I look at America’s educational system and the average IQ of our country, and it is not a pretty sight. I think that having a public educational system is a more fair way of schooling, but is much less effective. Having schooling that is paid for at the highest price guarantees an amazing education.

8. Frank, Robert H.. “The Opportunity Cost of Economics Education” The New York Times 1 Sep. 2005. Web. 23 Jan. 2013.

In the article, “The Opportunity Cost of Economics Education,” Robert Frank begins by stating how in high school the economics classes are boring and that most people leave knowing the same amount they did before entering the class; he then states a simple example of Opportunity Cost and how even some professionals do not fully understand the topic, and he ends with stating that high school economics classes should be based more on the economics of everyday life rather than the entire complexity of the world-wide economy.

I completely understand why this article was written, as I am in an Economics class right now and I do see people struggling with this very concept. The fact of the matter is that the concept of Opportunity Cost runs its roots throughout the entire course. We use this very concept everyday in life though we may not notice that we do it. Whenever we have to make a choice between anything, we subconsciously weigh the Opportunity Cost of that given transaction. This is a harder concept on paper though. I agree with him that in a high school we need to learn more of a relatable economics course to our lives, because like he said “that the introductory course is increasingly tailored not for the majority of students for whom it will be their only economics course, but for the negligible fraction who will go on to become professional economists.” I on the other hand, enjoy the class because I plan on becoming a professional economist all because of how the class is now.

• While I am not currently in economics and I have very little interest in the matter, I can relate to the general idea of confusion in a high school course. Granted the majority of my classes are AP level courses, I know that even in honors or regular level classes the information is often of no use to the general population of students. I think it would be nice to have more class options that are tailored to better fit each student’s future goals. Not only would this help prepare them before they leave high school, but it would also eliminate the extra information many students are required to learn.

• I totally agree with the article when it says that economic classes need to be more effective and less boring. Personally I believe all classes need to be “beefed up” a little. Education is key to our nation’s success and when classes are really important (such as economics) the content needs to be more relatable and interesting or else the point may be lost. In order for students to engage in the material, the educators need to put in a little extra effort towards improving the material and how it is presented. It would be nice to actually learn without the unnecessary pain due to the complexity of the subject.

• I agree Megan, classes need to be much more effective. I believe that the reason that we are starting to fall behind in success as compared to other nations is because our education system is too standardized. I think that if classes cut out all of the “fluff”, per say, then the nation would see an influx in success. This success in school could have many benefits to society. These benefits could range from a stronger GDP to a better ran government.

9. Hartocollis,Anemona. “N.Y.U. and Other Medical Schools offer shorter course in training, for less tuition.” The New York Times. 23 December 2012. Print.

The article begins with explaining the idea of shortening med school from four years to three; it then discusses the potential of this action to solve issues such as a nationwide shortage of physicians; and it ends with a look at the impact this will have on future med students.

The plan is to do away with excess classes deemed unnecessary to be taught further because they are wasting time by rehashing already known material. Not only will it get students practicing in the real world sooner, but it will cut down the college debt because a whole year of expensive tuition will be removed. This sounds like a grand idea and the thought is nice but honestly when it comes to the medical field, I want the physicians of tomorrow to be well educated. Think about it. These are the people who will be in charge of my life and my loved ones lives if ever, God forbid, there was a medical issue. I think that extra year is extremely necessary. It was there in the first place for a reason. This is not something to be done half fast. Yes, it’s nice to cut college fees for med students but this is not the way to do it. Why doesn’t N.Y.U. and the other medical schools just lower their overly expensive tuition? That would be smarter, in my opinion. There is a reason why the students go to school for so long. Their job is nothing to laugh at and they had better be as prepared as possible.

• I agree wholeheartedly with Megan. The amount of time spent in medical school can not simply be shortened for any purpose, especially one as controversial as money. Now I understand that one year doesn’t seem like an extremely long amount of time, but think back to the beginning of this year. How much did we know about writing a précis? How many of us can honestly say we could have solved a calculus problem? The same principle applies to a year in medical school. Essential information is taught throughout the entire schooling process, and when this information could save a life, no amount of shortcut is worth it.

• I agree with you Megan. When I started reading this, the only thing I could think of was ‘wow this seems like a terrible idea, the last thing I want is a doctor who does not even have all the years of schooling he needs.’ I feel that if somebody wants to be a doctor or physician, that comes with the schooling. All of that money and skill comes at a cost and that is at least four years of schooling. I also agree about the lowering of school tuition. If you look at a graph of a supply/demand curve, if the tuition is lowered that will cause a shortage in the number of classes due to a lower supply of classes and a greater demand. So, that means we would not have enough classes of all the students.

• I agree with you Megan. When I started reading this, the only thing I could think of was ‘wow this seems like a terrible idea, the last thing I want is a doctor who does not even have all the years of schooling he needs.’ I feel that if somebody wants to be a doctor or physician, that comes with the schooling. All of that money and skill comes at a cost and that is at least four years of schooling. I also agree about the lowering of school tuition. If you look at a graph of a supply/demand curve, if the tuition is lowered that will cause a shortage in the number of classes due to a lower supply of classes and a greater demand. So, that means we would not have enough classes of all the students. g

10. Moore, Abigail Sullivan. “Off Off Off Campus” The New York Times 31 Jan. 2013. Web. 6 Feb. 2013

In the article, “Off Off Off Campus,” Moore begins by stating that many college kids nowadays are leaving campus on the weekends and going back home; she then states that some colleges are starting to try to prevent this from happening, and then she ends with stating that some colleges are trying to get kids to stay on campus, even if it is just at night.

I can see this from the students’ eyes and the college’s eyes. The kids see this as not wanting to be bored or needing to get money or even just being homesick. These are good reasons to go back home, maybe not every single weekend but every once and a while, sure. The college though is losing a lot of money when this happens. I feel like this is more of a big deal then the fact that the students are just leaving. See, when about 75% of the students leave campus, they are not buying things such as food or books or things like that so the college’s total revenue drops. The only reason that colleges make people pay for a meal plan and things like that is to make money and if it is not being used then they are making less money. In the long run this could lead to a lay-off of teachers or a lower acceptance rate at the school due to lack of funds. I do not really see any way to restrict the students’ movements though, it seems kind-of unconstitutional to do something like that. So, I cannot think of a solution to this problem.

• While I can see both sides of the argument, I have to disagree that colleges need more money. Students are already paying astronomical sums to attend school in that area. Tens of thousands of dollars every year from every student adds up pretty quickly. On the other side, students have every right to travel home for the weekend or even for a longer period of time. While at school, students are away from both family and friends. They should be permitted to leave and visit whenever they need to. This may eventually lead to lower funding for the school overall, but like Jordan I have no practical solution.

• I think it is very wrong to make students stay on campus during the weekends. College is very different from high school. The change in lifestyle can and will lead to homesickness. I know for me personally, I will need to visit home or else I will get super depressed or simply go nuts. I can handle staying on campus during the week but I need the weekends to go home. This is how I think it should be. I understand colleges need money. We all do. Students still need to buy a meal plan if they stay all week and just leave for Saturday and Sunday. It’s not like we can just starve 5 days a week. So I think this whole business of keeping students on campus all of the time is ridiculous. This is an issue I soon will be facing as college looms near and believe me, I am not looking forward to being forced to leave and stay away from home.

• I disagree when you say that colleges do not have the right to keep students at school on the weekend. I feel like that is something that a college can do. If you sign up for that college, that college should have the ability to tell you when you can and cannot leave campus, for you are using all of their facilities and resources. Plus, I feel like this is the perfect way for people to get over that “homesickness”. I am all for moving away from the nest and starting my own life. I feel that the more regulations they have on coming back home the better it will be for the students in the long run, teaching them how to be self reliant and their own person.

• Jordan, I do not think that college students should be restricted to stay on campus. College differs from high school–albeit I have only ever been to high school–and in college, you are an adult–albeit young and reckless ones–and for most they are away from home and without their parents for the first time. Colleges will just have to figure a way to deal with the money loss without dictating that particular freedom of college students.

11. Ceasar, Stephen. “L.A.’s First Hebrew-Language Charter School Raises Questions.” Los Angeles Times 04 Feb. 2013. Web. 7 Feb. 2013.

In this article, Stephen Ceasar begins by posing the question of why parents choose to send their children to a charter school over a public or even a private school; he then discusses Lashon Academy, a new dual language charter school focusing on the Hebrew language expected to open in Los Angeles this fall; and Ceasar ends by explaining the concerns some experts have about the true intentions behind the school and its placement.

From an objective standpoint, I can see how opening a school in an area with such a high Jewish population would raise some questions. Will there be an equal opportunity for other children in the area who have not grown up with the language? Even so, will their lack of exposure hurt their ability to succeed at such a school? While these are good questions to ask, I feel as if the founders of this school had the children’s best intentions in mind. Hundreds, maybe even thousands, of schools have shifted toward a charter like mindset by focusing on a single area of study. Who is to say that this ethnically uniform neighborhood should be treated any differently?

12. I totally agree that the school makes sense for the community. It is primarily Jewish so I don’t see why a Hebrew language center is a problem. It will enhance the culture of the area and educate children on their ancestry. This is very important in my opinion. Sure kids without a Jewish background may struggle, but I’m sure with the massive amount of people already probably familiar with the language, they could make a friend and get help. Learning Hebrew will make them more rounded anyway so honestly this school is not bad. Plus the idea of a charter school is to focus on a single area of study so Hebrew is perfect for a Jewish neighborhood. It only makes sense.

13. Alexie, Sherman. “The Joys of Reading and Writing: Superman and Me” Whisper Down The Write Alley 22 June. 2010. Web.
    In this short passage, Sherman Alexie describes the problems facing all young Native Americans or minorities. Daily restrictions are in place and children of Indian descent are expected to fail in a predominantly white world. The writer discusses how they learned to read by using old Superman comics. Basically, the ability to read and write gave them wings in a tough world. The importance of education was emphasized. Literacy is the key to unlock many of life’s doors. I totally agree with this. Reading and writing are essential and I believe all children should be afforded the opportunity to learn how to do these things. When someone is unable to read or write, they are at a severe disadvantage. I could not imagine what life would be like if I was not able to read. Books are just the beginning. Learning should be taken seriously for knowledge is power. I think that all people, no matter their ethnic background, should be taught these skills. The world would most definitely be a better place.

• After reading Megan’s response to this piece, I decided I would go back and reread it. I’m so glad I did! The first time I read it, I was looking specifically for the way Alexie used rhetoric. The problem is that I was so focused on the rhetoric and how well he portrayed his point that I didn’t really focus on his point. Now that I have read it again, I agree with Megan that learning, not only just to read and write, but in any form is an essential human right. It offers opportunities and experiences, and quite honestly it is the only way to produce growth. I only wish that this passion could be shared by everyone.

14. Alexie, Sherman. “The Joys of Reading and Writing: Superman and Me.” Whisper Down The Write Alley 22 June. 2010. Web. 20 Feb. 2013.

In this article, Sherman Alexie begins with a personal account of learning to read and write through the help of a Superman comic; he then discusses how he learned to group life into paragraphs; and he ends with his explanation of living as a bright Indian child, standing out from the expected and becoming a modern writer.

As I read this piece, the part that stuck out to me the most was the various rhetorical strategies that the author used to emphasis his point. Overall, his tone was blunt and straightforward. Take for example the way he describes the speech bubbles coming from the mouth of Superman. He seems almost sarcastic writing it now, but as a child this thought process is very accurate. Also, Alexie included many instances of repetition. He repeated his ideas, but he also repeated phrases like “trying to save my life.” This, combined with the simple parallel structure he flocked toward, helped to create an image in the mind of the reader. Continually referring back to this mental image allows the reader to follow his thought process and understand his main point in writing, that “books, books” are the answer.

15. Talbert, Margaret. “Annals of Education: Best in Class” The New York Time 6 June. 2005 Web. 20 Feb. 2013
    I honestly thought that this article was ridiculous. Really, High School students suing their schools for either not making it as a valedictorian or for not being the sole owner of the title? This really unnerved me.
    I can understand this if the school just outright denied the student their right to this title, but this was not the case for any of the “victims” in this article. The students were, for lack of a better word, just being greedy. For instance, one of the instances in the article was a girl who was denied the title because she did not take the rigorous classes two other students had taken, Advanced Placement courses. She had a 4.0 GPA, but since there were two other students who had higher GPAs and had taken Advanced Placement courses they were given the title of valedictorian but she was not. So, in the long-run, she sues the school system claiming that her and another student should also be named valedictorians, and ended up winning. Please tell me how that makes sense? Or even how it makes sense. It does not. This seems unethical to me, if she did not have the highest GPA then she should never have even been considered for the title in the first place.
    This is exactly how most of the other instances in this article are. I do not understand how some people can get upset over things such as this. Just because you want something, does not mean you are going to get it. That is a tough life lesson but by giving these students this title for something they do not deserve is going completely against this lesson. Another issue I had with this article is the fact that I could not figure out whether the author was for or against these students.

• Because GPA is something that really matters to me personally, I was interested to read Jordan’s opinion about this article. If you had asked me last year, I would have told you that I disagree with the system our school has. Currently, if you are enrolled in an ap level class, you can earn up to a 5.0 rather than only a 4.0. I used to think this was unfair, so I decided to fill my schedule with higher-level classes. Now that I am taking 5 ap classes in one year, I realize how rigorous it can be. I am actually totally in favor of this method now mainly because I have worked extremely hard this year, and I feel like I deserve those extra points.

• Oh yeah! AP classes are tough but I am taking as many as possible so that I can raise my gpa. I just wish our school still gave the 5 points though. Anyway, I do believe AP students should get all the extra points and advantages possible. Taking these courses means that we have to work harder than most of our classmates. So relating back to Jordans article, kids who took AP classes should have leg up over those who took regular leveled and even honors leveled courses. It’s a whole different playing field on the AP level and it should be treated as such. I am all for higher possible gpa and extra points. Not only does it balance out the difficulty of the curriculum but it also provides incentives for students to aim higher and work harder. This way, they can maybe become valedictorian and they won’t have to sue for it.

• I feel strongly that if one pushes his/her-self harder than other people, then they should be rewarded for their work. Is that not right? This philosophy is how people get far in the world, working hard to get what they want and not regretting what they had to do to get there. This year, hoping to impress some colleges, I am taking five AP classes. It is hard. I am not going to lie, sometimes I am just swamped with homework, but I know that in the long-run, I will be rewarded for all my hard work. Is that not the point of AP classes anyway?

• Reading Jordan’s article really annoyed me. I could not believe that a school could be so dumb as to award a title to a kid who did not deserve it. What the heck? The people who took AP classes and had a higher gpa obviously earned the valedictorian title. It is unfair and unethical to give this prestigious award to some kid who did nothing but complain. Honestly, life’s not fair. Maybe you should of worked harder like the actual valedictorian, then maybe you wouldn’t have to sue the school. And the school, I think, just decided to give in because they didn’t want to get involved with the whole fiasco. Also, if I was the actual valedictorian and then the school snatched it away from me to give to some stuck up kid, I would be infuriated. Then I would sue.

• I agree with you 100% Megan. I literally had to stop reading this article once or twice because it just made me so mad, all I could think was, ‘why would someone really do this?” I found it completely ridiculous. I could not see myself doing something like this. I feel very strongly that in order to get something in life, you have got to work for it. If you don’t work for it then you do not deserve what you are being rewarded, so obviously, this was a tough article to read for me.